KERALA PSC SOLVED QUESTION PAPER
Kerala Psc Excise Guard 2004 Previous Question Paper
1.The next world cup football tournament will be held in :
2.The Rajya Sabha has to return Money Bills passed by the Lok Sabha within 14 days. If does not do so,the bill is :
(A)Deemed to have been passed by both the houses
(B)To be introduced in the Lok Sabha again
(C)To be referred to the Supreme Court
(D)To be introduced in a joint sitting of both the houses
3.The first Indian navy ship that returned home recently after voyage around the globe is :
4.The number of nominated members of Rajya Sabha is :
5.The Chief Election commissioner is appointed by :
(A)The chief Justice of India
(D)The Prime Minister
6.The exclusive monopoly right granted by the government for a new invention to an inventor is known as :
7.Our constituent Assembly was chaired by :
(B)Dr. Rajendra Prasad
8.Chipko movement is associated with :
(A)Protection of environment
(B)Protection of human rights
(C)Protection of street boys
(D)Protection of leprosy patients
9.Stock Exchanges in India are regulated by :
10.Who is the author of "India in the New Millinneum" ?
11.The highest observatory in the world is situated in :
12.In our state sandal wood is cultivated at :
13.All nations have been observing ... every year as No Tobacco Day .
14Name of latest U.S. robot that landed in Mars is :
(D)None of these
15.The newly appointed Chairman of the National Commission on Farmers is :
16." Merdeka Cup " is associated with :
17.India is planning to send a spacecraft to Moon. The code name given to this project is :
(A)Operation Black Sea
(B)Milan - 2003
18.Name the Speaker of the 13th Lok Sabha :
(A)Murali Manohar Joshi
19.Indira Gandhi Peace Prize for 2003 was given to
20.The number of languages officially recognized by our Constitution is :
21.Who gave the title of 'Father of the Nation ' to Gandhiji ?
(B)Subhash Chandra Bose
22.Bengal was partitioned in :
23.Who was the Governor General of India on 16th August 1947 ?
24.The real name of Vikramaditya was :
25."Vana mahotsav" was the brain -child of :
26. _____ taught us the brotherhood of Hindus and Muslims:
(a) Vasumitra (b) Kautilya (c) Ram Mohan Roy (d) Kabir Das
27. “Silver Revolution” relates to:
(a) Milk production (b) Egg production
(c) Wheat production (d) Water preservation
28. “Therukkooth” is the popular dance form of:
(a) Andhra Pradesh (b) Mysore (c) Tamil Nadu (d) Lakshadweep
29. The Committee that studied the feasibility of funding of elections by state was:
(a) Nariman Committee (b) Indrajit Gupta Committee
(c) Raja chellayya Commmittee (d) Narasimhan Committee
30. Who is known as the father of local self governments?
(a) Lord Macaulay (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Canning (d) Lord Rippon
31. The global plan to save the earth from devastation is known as:
(a) Catch-22 (b) Agenda-21 (c) Vision 2004 (d) Probman-150
32. The dowry system emerged during the:
(a) Maurya period (b) Vedic period (c) Mughal period (d) Gupta period
33. The language that developed in our country as a result of Hindu-Muslim unity is:
(a) Marathi (b) Dogri (c) Barushaki (d) Urdu
34. In which battle Prithviraj Chauhan defeated Mohammad Ghori
(a) Second battle of Panipat (b) Second battle of Tarain
(c) First battle of Panipat (d) First battle of Tarain
35. Who was the publisher of the daily “Swadeshabhimani” edited by Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pillai?
(a) K. Ayyappan (b) Kesari Balakrishna Pillai
(c) Vakkom Abdul Khader Maulavi
(d) Vengayil Kunjiraman Nayanar
36. The link between the President of India and the Union Cabinet is the
(a) Prime Minister (b) Cabinet Secretary
(c) Minister for Parliament Affairs (d) Attorney General
37. The Indian social worker best known for his work among leprosy patients:
(a) Baba Amte (b) Akilan (c) (C)F. Andrews(d) Medha Patkar
38. Who is known as the “Saint of the Gutters”?
(a) Florence Nightingale (b) Mother Teresa
(c) Joan of Arc (d) St. Alphonsa
39. India adopted a parliamentary form of government based on:
(a) American model (b) Russian model (c) British model (d) French model
40. Our tenth Five Year Plan was started in the year:
(a) 2000 (b) 2002 (c) 2001 (d) 2003
41. 3/4th of 1/3rd of 4/5th of a number is 90. Then the number is:
(a) 400 (b) 450 (c) 200 (d) 360
42. The ages of a father and son are 4 l and 16 years respectively. In how many years will the father be twice as old as
(a) 10 years (b) 8 years (c) 9 years (d) 12 years
43. A candidate who gets 30% of the total marks in a test fails by 50 marks. Another candidate who gets 320 marks fails
by 50 marks. Another candidate who gets 320 marks fails by 30 marks. What are the total marks?
(a) 900 (b) 1200 (c) 1100 (d) 1000
44. By selling 200 mangoes a man gains the selling price of 40 mangoes. His profit margin on cost is:
(a) 20% (b) 25% (c) 33.33% (d) 40%
45. The average of 11 numbers is 50. The average of the first six numbers is 49 and that of the last six is 52. If so, the sixth
(a) 50 (b) 58 (c) 56 (d) 55
46. How much time does a train, 280 m long, running at a speed of 72 km/hr, take to cross a bridge of 220 m long?
(a) 25 seconds (b) 30 seconds (c) 35 seconds (d) 60 seconds
47. 75% of the students in a school are boys. If the number of girls students is 420, the number of boys is:
(a) 1200 (b) 1240 (c) 1250 (d) 1260
48. 0.1 × 0.1 × 0.1
a) 0. 1 b) 0.01 c) 0.001 d) 0.3
49. A and B can complete a piece of work in 10 and_15-days respectively. In how many day they can complete the same work if they do it together?
(a) 10 days (b) 6 days (c) 7 ½ days (d) 8 days
50. The simple interest on a certain sum deposited at 8% interest per, annum for three years is Rs. 576. The sum
(a) Rs. 2400 (b) Rs. 2800 (c) Rs. 3200 (d) Rs. 3600
In the following questions there exists certain relationship between the first two words. The same relation also exists in
the third and fourth words. Find out the missing word from the four alternatives given below in each question
51. Judge : court:: Doctor: ?
(a) Patient (b) Medicine (c) Surgery (d) Hospital
52 Cow: Calf:: Horse:?
(a) Cub (b) Kid (c) Foal (d) Pub
53. Sheep: Fleet:: Whales: ?
(a) Bunch (b) Swarm (c) Clump (d) Pod
54. Virtue: Vice:: Voluntary: ?
(a) Vanity (b) Valour (c) Compulsory (d) Flexible
55. Dogs: Bark:: Ducks: ?
(a) Quack (b) Swim (c) Herd (d) Water
56. Chocolate: Confectionery:: Wine: ?
(a) Distillery (b) Brewery (c) Mint (d) Bakery
57. Bed: Cot:: Chair : ?
(a) Wood (b) Paint (c) Cushion (d) Sitting
58. Cardiologist: Heart:: Dermatologist: ?
(a) Gum (b) Skin (c) Blood (d) Stomach
59. Author: Novel:: Newspaper:?
(a) Editor (b) Publisher (c) Printer (d) News Agency
60. Bird: Nest:: Lion: ?
(a) Burrow (b) Trench (c) Den (d)Pit
61. Kerala occupies ………………..percent of the total land area of the country
(a) 1.18 (b) 3.6 (c) 2.48 (d) 2.7
62. The total number of block Panchayats in Kerala is:
(a) 152 (b) 165 (c) 145 (d) 185
63. The award instituted by the government of Kerala for the best agriculturist is known as
(a) Karshaka Sree (b) Karshaka Kesari
(c) Karshakothama (d) Karshakacharya
64. “Malayali Memorial” that sought better representation for travancoreans in the state civil service was presented to:
(a) Sree Moolam Thirunal (b) Swathi Thirunal
(c) Chithira Thirunal (d) Vishakom Thirunal
65. The dance form developed on the line of Kathakali is known as:
(a) Mohiniyattam (b) Padayani (c) Kerala Natanam (d) Kummi
66. The state bird of Kerala is:
(a) Peacock (b) Dove (c) Hornbill (d) Parrot
67. A person from among the -———— residing in Kerala is nominated to the Kerala Legislature Assembly.
(a) Latin Catholic (b) Dheevaras (c) Anglo Indians (d) Jews
68. Travancore and Cochin States were integrated is
(a) 1949 (b) 1948 (c) 1950 (d) 1944
69. The first Speaker in the Kerala Legislative Assembly was:
(a) K. C George (b) R.Sankara Narayanan Thampi
(c) K. A Damodara Menon (d) D. Damodaran Potti
70. The first book printed in Malayalam “Samkshepa Vedartha’ was printed at
(a) Germany (b) Rome (c) Portugal (d) Holland
71. Who is known as the “Jhansi Rani of Travancore”?
(a) Lekshmi N. Menon (b) Anne Mascreen
(c) Kuttimalu Amma(d) Ackamma Cherian
72. The tidal power plant in our state is situated at:
(a) Malappuram (b) Thiruvananthapuram
(c) Kannur (d) Ernakulam
73. The Committee that studied the matters relating to decentralisation of powers to local bodies in our states was the
(a) Dr. Gopalan Committee (b) Dr. Ananthamoorthi Committe
(c) Sen Committee (d) None of these
74. The district in Kerala that shares border with Karnataka and Tamilnadu is:
(a) Kasargode (b) Idukki (c) Palakkad (d) Wayanad
75. The first biological park in India is situated at:
(a) Nilgiri (b) Parambikulam(c) Thenmala (d) Agasthyarkootam
76. The Cochin port was designed by:
(a) Wellington (b) Robert Bristo(c) John Simon (d) John Hunter
77. The ruler of Travancore who defeated the Dutch in the battle of Kulachal was
(a) Marthanda Varma (b) Ayilyam Thirunal
(c) Sree Moolam Thirunal (d) Vishakom Thirunal
78. Who initiated a scheme for the development of Vizhinjam port?
(a) C P. Ramaswamy Iyer. (b) Ummini Thampi Dalawa
(c) Raja Kesava Das (d) Veluthampi Dalawa
79. Parambikulam Wildlife sanctuary is in ……………… district.
(a) Thrissur (b) Idukki (c) Wayanad (d) Palakkad
80. During the reign of …………… primary education was made compulsory in Travancore
(a) Umayamma Rani (b) Swathi Thirunal
(c) Rani Lekshmi Bai (d) Rani Gowri Bai.
81 . It is believed that the musical instrument Sitar’ was designed and developed by:
(a) Amjad Ali Khan (b) Amir Khusru
(c) Vilayat Khan (d) Akbar
82. The languages recognized by the Constitution of India are listed in its …………………. schedule.
(a) 8th (b) 11th (c) 6th (d) 9th
83. The Speaker of Lok Sabha submits his resignation to the:
(a)The Prime Minister (b) Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
(c) Deputy Speaker (d) President
84. The fuel used in the Thernal Power Station at Kayamkulam is;
(a) Coal (b) Natural Gas (c) Naptha (d) Diesel
85. Of the following which state has two capitals?
(a) Himachal Pradesh (b) Nagaland
(c) Punjab (d) Madhya Pradesh
86. Name the first Indian Astronaut:
(a) Kalpana Shukla (b) Chokila lyer
(c) Kalpana Chawla (d) Bula Chaudhari
87. What is the playing time of the full version of our National Anthem?
(a) 48 Seconds (b) 62 Seconds (c) 60 Seconds (d) 52 Seconds
88. The first woman who had been conferred with Bharata Ratna was:
(a) Mother Teresa (b) Ashapurna Devi
(c) Devika Rani (d) Indira Gandhi
89. The line that separates India and Pakistan is the:
(a) Radcliffe line (b) Durand line (c) Mc Mahon line (d) None of these
90. In India census is taken in every:
(a) 15 years (b) 20 years (c) 10 years (d) 12 years
91. Carrots are rich in:
(a) Vitamin-A (b) Vitamin -K (c) Vitamin-D (d) Starch
92. In Human body, saliva helps to:
(a) Swallow Food (b) Chew food (c) Digest food (d) All of these93. Basically, the horn of Rhino is:
(a) Hair (b) Bone (c) Flesh (d) Skin
94. The diagnostic test to detect AIDS is:
(a) Rubin test (b) Western blot test
(c) Patch test (d) Wassermann test
95. The epidemic SARS affects the:
(a) Nervous system (b) Urinary system
(c) Digestive system (d) Respiratory system
96. The purest form of carbon is
(a) Charcoal (b) Diamond (c) Graphite (d) Coal
97. The gland that secrets tears is:
(a) Pituitary gland (b) Adrenal gland (c) Liver (d) Lachrymal gland
98. The layer of atmosphere that the life activities of all living things is:
(a) Ionosphere (b) Mesosphere (c) Stratosphere (d) Troposphere
99. The invisible water vapour in the atmosphere is termed as:
(a) Smog (b) Dewpoint (c) Humidity (d) Hoar frost
100.The deficiency of………….. causes Goitre:
(a) Potassium (b) Vitamin-K (c) Iodine (d) Vitamin-D
Answers – Excise Guard
1.(d) 2.(a) 3.(d) 4.(a) 5.(c) 6.(d) 7.(b) 8.(a) 9.(c) 10.(a)
11.(d) 12.(d) 13.(b) 14.(c) 15.(d) 16.(a) 17.(c) 18.(c) 19.(a) 20.(b)
21.(b) 22.(a) 23.(a) 24.(b) 25.(a) 26.(d) 27.(b) 28.(c) 29.(b) 30.(d)
31.(b) 32.(d) 33.(d) 34.(d) 35.(c) 36.(a) 37.(a) 38.(b) 39.(c) 40.(b)
41.(b) 42.(c) 43.(d) 44.(b) 45.(c) 46.(a) 47.(d) 48.(c) 49.(b) 50.(a)
51.(d) 52.(c) 53.(d) 54.(c) 55.(a) 56.(b) 57.(c) 58.(b) 59.(a) 60.(c)
61.(a) 62.(a) 63.(c) 64.(a) 65.(a) 66.(c) 67.(c ) 68.(a) 69.(b) 70.(b)
71.(d) 72.(b) 73.(c) 74.(d) 75.(d) 76.(b) 77.(a) 78.(b) 79.(d) 80.(b)
81.(b) 82.(a) 83.(c) 84.(c) 85.(a) 86. None of the choice is correct. Rakesh Sharma
is the correct answer.87.(d) 88.(d) 89.(a) 90.(c) 91.(a) 92.(c) 93.(a) 94.(b)
95.(d) 96.(c) 97.(d) 98.(d) 99.(c) 100.(c)